Sunday, January 6, 2013

January Slim Pickings

Estate sales are slowing down, the Kane County Flea Market won't be back until spring, and it's just too cold to spend time in the garage working on upcycling projects.  While I've slowed down quite a bit in my treasure hunting, I am still trying to get out there and see what I can find.  I saw a huge warehouse estate sale advertised in a small town about 35 miles from me and decided to check it out, being drawn in by the promise of vintage Pyrex and Ball jars.  It turned out to be at a 14K square foot auction house, and there were about 3 or 4 estates combined into one sale.  

For being so far outside the city and suburbs, I was really surprised to see how high the prices were.  I suppose that having moved the items to a warehouse, there was no urgency to clear them out like there usually is in a real estate sale.  They had hundreds of wonderful farmhouse type items, but with prices like $12-$20 for blue ball jars, for example, I might as well have spent the morning at an antique store in the suburbs, which would have been much more nicely curated.  Nevertheless, I snooped around until I found a few items, which happened to all be from the 1/2 price area.  

I thought these mid century salt and pepper shakers were nice.  I love the lines.
I think these were unused, but probably sat in a kitchen for many years. I cleaned up the stainless steel with the best cleaning product for that surface - good ol' white vinegar.  The rosewood has some kitchen grime on it, and I'm brainstorming ideas for how to clean that off.  I would love to hear any ideas.

I couldn't resist this iron salt and pepper shaker set.    
I've seen sets that consist of two tiny matching irons, but never an iron that fits together with a stand like this.  I love it. 

The base is for pepper, the iron is for salt.  So cute! 

Love these mid century bud vases.
 
They are actually not a matching set - the tall one is much better quality, but I think they look nice together. Both have test tubes that hold the water, with the tall one's tube marked as Pyrex.

Finally, I let my superhero-obsessed 5 year old pick out some comics.  These were in nicely sealed plastic, but for us they are meant to be enjoyed, so the plastic came off immediately!  
I should probably check to see if we picked any valuable ones, but there is something to be said for just using and enjoying things like this.

On the way home, I stopped by the Goodwill to look for old board games for a project that I'm working on.  Instead I spied this sweet ceramic piece.  I love cardinals, and I thought this was really charming.  There were no clues as to its age, and I suspected it was newer. It was only $1.99.  
After some digging online, I found that it was sold at Kirklands about five years ago.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Kirklands has such cute things!  It's selling for about twice the original price on Ebay.

As for the rest of January, I'm definitely going have to be more creative about how I spend my weekends.  I'm thinking this might be a good time to spend learning more about my camera and photo editing.  I bought Adobe Lightroom about 6 months ago and have yet to start using it, so I think now is the time to start.  

Thanks so much for stopping by! 

Joining the Nifty Thrifty on a Living Space and
Thriftasaurus Linkup on Sir Thrift A Lot and





















22 comments:

  1. Great finds, especially the two salt andpepper sets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving you a follow back!~ Love that iron salt and pepper set. You have such a great eye for clever things! Wish I could help ya with getting the grime off the wooden set. Be sure to post when you find something! Make it a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! I worked on the grime with some 409 (didnt let it soak in) and it helped!

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh the little iron set! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower from the blog hop! I can't wait to see what goodies you find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mid-century salt and pepper shakers are very cool looking. I don't collect a lot of mid-century, but those I would have bought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonder if the test tube marked pyrex is original? love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up. We love the rosewood salt & pepper shakers. We just paid retail for an identical set at a local shop for our home use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like everyone else, I am envious of your salt and pepper shakers! Great score!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the visit! Cheers from your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love salt and pepper shakers :) The iron one is adorable! Thanks for following my blog, following you back now. I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute finds! I love flea markets! Found you over at the Aloha blog hop...following you now!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls
    http://www.prowessandpearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like some great finds! I love the iron salt and pepper, it is just too cute. I want to find more cute stuff like that for my house- looks like i need to go estate shopping with you! Just found your blog and I'm excited to get to know you better. Hope you don't mind if I follow along...

    newest follower :)
    bonnie
    thelifeofbon.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got some great finds- totally love the iron salt and pepper shaker. That's just too cute- never seen anything like it.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are very cool! I love vintage, and especially MCM! Love this salt & pepper set! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You found so many cool salt and pepper shakers but I really love the MCM set. I wonder if mineral oil would help get some of the kitchen gunk off the wood...

    ReplyDelete