Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Goodwill Outlet Adventure and other finds


I spent the weekend on a family trip to St. Louis this weekend, so I didn't get to any estate sales.  However, I noticed a Goodwill Outlet near my hotel, and since I don't have one near where I live, I took some time to check out this amazing store that so many design bloggers and vintage hunters talk about.  It was unbelievable, both in a good and bad way.  First of all, I'm not a huge thrift store shopper.  I really prefer estate sales, where you can preview items beforehand, and where you can see the environment the items come from.  If I'm looking for something specific like old frames or craft supplies, I will make an exception for Goodwill, which is usually very clean, organized, and is an excellent organization that gives back to the community. 

The Goodwill Outlet in St. Louis was a madhouse.  It was an enormous warehouse full of rows and rows of large bins full of junk.  Clothes were mixed in with housewares and there was little rhyme or reason to any of it.  I almost walked out until I saw some well-dressed ladies leaving with some fabulous mid century oil paintings, and decided to push through my squeamishness and see if I could find anything interesting for my booth.  Prices were calculated by the pound - books and glassware were 49 cents per pound, and the rest was 79 cents per pound.

I still need to clean the items I found before they come in from the garage, but here are a few things I found.  Here is where the unbelievable, in a good way, part comes in! The price for what you see here came out to less than $2!! 

Assorted vintage ceramics

Besides the outlet adventure, I did get to one of my favorite vintage shops this week.  I found this fabulous moon map poster, which looks great in my son's room.

I also found this great metal tray.  I'm thinking of painting it bright yellow to add a pop of color to the living room.
 
Well, thanks for stopping by!  I'm looking forward to seeing what people have been up to at the following places: Nifty Thrifty on a Living Space, Thriftasaurus Linkup on Sir Thrift A Lot, Apron Thrift Girl, Creative Bloggers, The Marketplace and The Cottage Market.
 


 

17 comments:

  1. Great finds! Sounds crazy there! Ha! I'm not sure I would have been able to concentrate! But you came away with some great things! I really like that tray...super cool! You should link up at Young Heart...Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for dropping by Tuesday's Tea Party, blog hop and ad space giveaway. Dont forget to enter to win free ad space every week! Yours Madly, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! The maps look wonderful in your sons room!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have excellent taste and got some sweet finds. That map is amazing! I covet. My husband is from St. Louis. Next time we're in town, I'll have to go by there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a GO here not far from me but I've only been a few times. I have to be in the mood to DIG and get dirty! The first time I went I didn't really know what to expect--when they brought out new carts and everybody went crazy digging through them and throwing stuff everywhere I'm pretty sure I had my jaw hanging open like an idiot. LOL I will say, every time I've gone I've walked out with something, so it's probably worth going more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With places like the GW, you have to go often to find the best stuff...if you always walk out with something, it sounds like you have a great store! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. The moon map poster is most awesome!!!

    Btw, thank you for joining in my first link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds! I've always wanted to go to the GW outlet, but like you, I'm a little bit scared! I also LOVE that moon poster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am absolutely loving the moon poster! Great find! Hopped over from the Aloha hop! Newest follower! Off to check out more of your site...

    Julia @ Mom on the Run x2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, yes, yes to painting the tray yellow!!! Oh girl, you scored. Now I'm searching for a Goodwill outlet in my area. Didn't even know they existed!!! Whooo Hooo. Make it a great weekend! jules bles-id.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would kill for that Moon poster! It's exactly what I've been looking for for my son's "space" themed room. Goodwills are a dime a dozen where I live (yay) but none like the one you just encountered where they weight the stuff. I'm drawn to them like a magnet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too hard heard alot about some great finds at Goodwill, but have not actually tried it myself. Looks as tho you got some great bargains. A new follower from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop. Would luv if you could drop by my blog as well.

    Anne Marie
    http://moanasuniquedesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have heard...it's getting late...can't type...

      Delete
  12. great finds!! I love our Goodwill Outlet here in Kansas City - I just can't get enough of it!! - Mandy, Sugar Bee Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you sure do find some amazing finds wherever you go. I too LOVE Goodwill....so many amazing things...some good as they are and some diamonds in the rough!

    I found you on the aloha blog hop and glad I did...your blog totally inspires me! Following along on GFC and Twitter so you can continue to inspire me! I'd love for you to stop by sometime!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com
    https://twitter.com/4youwithlove
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/4-You-With-Love/258813757527841

    ReplyDelete