Monday, September 22, 2014

Vintage Finds for the New House

We moved into a new home earlier this summer and have been busy unpacking, arranging and getting settled.  I have not been disappointed with the estates sales in my new zip code, where I have found some great furniture and decor for the new digs.

Here are some of my finds:

Pottery Barn desk and chair, abstract art, 1950s suitcase and crocheted afghan

The estate sale desk and chair are originally from Pottery Barn -  the green glass knobs on the drawer are too pretty and I love how the desk fits neatly into the corner of my living room.  The abstract painting is probably from the 80s.  It is gorgeously framed and I think the colors are very modern.  I picked up the round white suitcase from a dealer pal of mine for next to nothing.  It's a 1950s American Tourister Tri Taper.  My pal deals in mainly vintage records and books, and he had it sitting high on a shelf in his booth for a long time.  I told him it would sell in instant if he staged it by opening it up and filling it with cool old records.  He laughed and said he didn't "do staging" and thought it belonged to someone who could appreciate it more.  I was more than happy to oblige.  
Last but not least, I had to snap up the crocheted chevron blanket, because I am powerless against all things brightly colored and hand made. 

Next up are some fabulous items I picked up at three different sales.  They are just hanging out in the garage waiting to be thoroughly cleaned before I bring them inside. 

Campaign side table, plant stand and Mid Century Chair

On the left is a campaign side table.  It is pretty scratched up, but I'm hoping some Old English polish will restore it.  The picture doesn't really show the pretty grain, but trust me, it's worth saving if possible.  If not, a few glossy coats of paint will be in store.  Next, the brass faux bamboo plant stand is the perfect size to stick in some corner.  I have been finding a lot of plant stands lately, and this is my favorite so far.  Finally, a very happy find, a yellow Steelcase chair for my home office. 

And a few more fun things: 

Vintage aluminum jello molds and glass tray

I found two sets of aluminum jello molds and promptly filled a bunch of them with succulents from my garden.  These will make great hostess gifts.  I also found this cute little mod glass dish.  

Thanks for stopping by! If you're in the mood for inspiration you can find much more here: 
Creative Mondays, Vintage InspirationMake It Pretty Monday, Mod Vintage Life, Coastal Charm,  Penny Pinching PartyVintage Thingy Thursday, Feathered Nest FridaysJunkin JoeThriftasaurus





1 comment:

  1. Try a mixture of oil and vinegar (3:1) on the chest. http://www.lostandfounddecor.com/hunts-finds/primitive-cabinet-makeover-milk-paint/ Or if that doesn't work, I have seen Restor-a-finish work magic.

    ReplyDelete